Buckingham Park 2014
This is a Donkey Derby and Classic Vehicle Rally organised by the Adur East Lions Club and held this year on Sunday the 8th June at Buckingham Park, Shoreham.
I am led to believe that in years gone by SEAMS were regular exhibitors, but in recent times it disappeared from our rally fixture list. Last year, as the event was virtually on Tony Peirce’s doorstep, he was instrumental in resurrecting this event for us. So 2013 was our first year for some time and was very well and professionally organised by himself.
In memory of Tony, the committee picked up the mantle and continued to support this local event. We arrived just after nine to find Ian Sampson sneakily extending the space the Lions had allocated us, in order to accommodate another two engines. By ten o’clock all exhibitors had arrived and a very fine and varied display had been put together ready for the many hundreds if not thousands of visitors to this very popular event. Tony would have been very pleased and proud and it was with some emotion that we welcomed Pauline Peirce to join us. She was overwhelmed with offers of tea and coffee by all SEAMS members and stayed for several hours.
The display included:-
* An Aermotor windmill/pumping engine – Jon Foster
* 1927 Lister D and an Amanco2 ¼ hp Hired man model 1916 – Ian Sampson.
* Conord CL – Nick Giles (any information gratefully received)
* 1921 Stover 1 ½ hp and a Jumbo 1 ¾ hp – Ken Blakemore
* 1909 Bluffton 1/1/2 hp –Jon Moores
* 1916 Lister model H – Richard Amos
* 1935 Military Alco generating set with army display (to coincide with the D Day anniversary) – exhibited by myself.
After a very warm and busy day talking to visitors, Ian gave the word at five to turn off engines. The Lions issued all exhibitors with a commemorative plaque and were so pleased with what we had done, asked us if we would return next year with the promise that they would be only too pleased to give us extra space to exhibit even more engines and associated machinery.